Unity Lead Artist
Remote Working (UK & EU)
Full Time – 37 hours per week
Milky Tea is an award-winning video game development studio based in Liverpool. Our exceptionally talented team of 25 people work across the UK and the EU, developing memorable gaming experiences using the latest technology for some of the world’s biggest brands, platforms, and publishers.
Overview of Role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a highly talented, passionate, and all-round Creative Lead Artist. We are looking for someone who is equally adept at creating inspirational art and leading a small group of game artists in the design and development of new 3D environments and art assets for PC and console games.
As a Lead Artist, you will be responsible for creating and communicating the artistic vision of the game and will ensure continuity of this vision across all art created. Your involvement will be from concept to sign off, through to pitching and representing the game publicly. You will be the primary point of contact for art within the studio, and at times liaising with outsourcers and external stakeholders.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide art direction to projects throughout all stages of production.
- Create concepts, ideas, and mood boards for the art vision of our games.
- Present mood boards and references to stakeholders to get initial sign off.
- Drive forward improvements to the art production pipeline.
- Produce high quality assets suitable for production both technically and artistically.
- Provide feedback on VFX and animation to ensure the artistic vision for the project is adhered to.
- Manage a team of artists, keeping them on track with the production schedule and motivated.
- Technical and quality control of output on assigned projects.
- Ensure your quality standards are defined and adhered to by the team, and there is clear consistency with the project’s artistic vision.
- Create and refine Art Bibles, Style Guides, and mood boards; then ensure assets meet specifications provided by all relevant departments.
- Manage feedback and technical challenges on projects alongside department heads.
- Interpret and communicate the director’s feedback and vision to the team.
What We Are Looking For:
- 6-7+ years industry experience as an artist working on game titles.
- Shipped at least 2 titles in the role of Lead Artist.
- Excellent hands-on knowledge of the Unity game engine is essential.
- Has a diverse mix of stylistic and realistic art styles within a portfolio.
- Worked on diverse titles and genres of game.
- Experience working and delivering in an Indie/Mid-Level studio environment.
- Experience of AAA game art development a plus, but not essential.
- Environment and Character concepting through to modelling would be a distinct advantage.
- A passion for all forms of art and creativity.
- Strong all round portfolio showing concept to execution.
- Strong background in fine arts is a distinct advantage, to demonstrate the fundamentals of art and visual design, including composition and colour theory.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent understanding of game art asset production and creative production processes to improve art pipelines.
- A self-starter who is willing to observe potential pitfalls and to think quickly and help the leadership team to solve problems.
- A great team player with excellent communication skills and can collaborate, teach, and learn from others.
- Extremely organised with the ability to prioritise and coordinate other members of the art team.
What We Offer:
- We offer fully remote working.
- We have a flexi-time working policy, core working hours are between 10am to 4pm.
- You will receive 28 days holiday per year, inclusive of bank holidays, and an additional 1 days paid holiday “Birthday Bunk Day” per year.
After 2 years of continuous service, your holiday entitlement will increase year-on-year by one extra day’s holiday up to a maximum of five additional days.
- You will be offered a competitive company pension scheme.
- You will be entitled to the company performance bonus scheme. We pay a company performance bonus depending upon the financial performance of the business. (This is once a year after completing 12 months employment).
- We hold regular team social events throughout the year (Virtual and non-virtual).
- We will supply you with a company laptop and/or desktop.
- Company parking permit will be available if required.
If you apply, let us know you came from 3djobs.xyz!