We create ambitious games in a quietly awesome culture.
That simple statement is at the heart of what we do here at Possibility Space. Founded by a diverse and experienced team of game and media industry veterans, we are built from the ground up as a distributed studio, allowing developers to live and work where they are happiest. We strive to create an environment where we can do our best work regardless of what we look like, who we love, or how we identify.
Possibility Space is seeking a lead 3D artist to help bring our fantastical, stylized original game world to life. As the lead artist of our original IP, you will provide leadership and direction for the environment artists and concept artists on our world art team. You will help come up with processes and in-engine visual solutions that align with the art direction and support gameplay needs. This role combines worldbuilding, art asset creation, and people management. Reporting to the Visual Director, this role collaborates with disciplines across the entire project through all stages of development. Are you looking for multifaceted lead role within a small, collaborative art team with a priority on creative ownership?
If you are a senior artist who is passionate about art production processes, interested in having leadership responsibility but want also want to keep creating art, then this might be an especially exciting opportunity.
In applying for this job, please provide a link to an online portfolio of your work. We also strongly recommend you include a cover letter with your application – tell us a bit about who you are and why you want to work at Possibility Space!
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
- Shape and define the priorities for the World Art team in collaboration with the Visual Director and other discipline leads
- With a player-first focus, alongside our senior world artists, drive the environment art style in-engine (Unity) to create compelling immersive environments and modular props.
- Deep understanding of how lighting (baked and dynamic) and post processing affects the atmosphere and final look of the game.
- Provide day to day leadership on priority setting and methodologies of the world art team.
- Is a present people manager who will advocate for the needs of their direct reports
- Follow the work of the team and ensure they reach the expected artistic quality.
- Mentor the team and distribute responsibility among them.
- Work with our Visual Director and Art Outsourcing Manager to create a style guide for external partners and participate in art reviews.
Core Traits (Skills, Knowledge, Experience)
- Expertise in environment art creation tools and a preference for iterating in engine
- Experience developing with Unity
- Shipped at least one game project as a senior artist and has experience managing the different stances of an art team in different production phases, such as transitioning from preproduction to production.
- Proficient in more than one of the following disciplines: 3D environment modeling, Texturing, Lighting, Set/Level Design, Technical Art or VFX.
- Cross functional experience. Ability to collaborate effectively with design, engineering and production.
- Strong communicator who is comfortable with video calls, asynchronous slack messages and iterative collaboration on Miro (collaborative whiteboarding tool).
- Demonstrable experience and desire to plot a coherent vision for their own and others career trajectories
- Managing the process of recruiting and supervising contract artists
- End to End Development of a project as an art lead
- Experience with Blender
- Experience developing for a live, service-based game
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, and long periods of sitting.
- Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Possibility Space is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition(s), national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, or common human decency.
If you apply, let us know you came from 3djobs.xyz!