As our new Principal Environment Artist, you will be a key part of our Environment Art team working on Everywhere. You will be responsible for driving the visuals of our game to the next level! Visual story telling using set dress and the crafting the highest quality assets are your passions. As a senior member of the team, you will inspire the team around you by leading
Working closely with the Lead Environment Artist, Design Team, and Art Direction, you will use your extensive game dev experience to ensure that all aspects of our world look exceptional.
Lead the crafting of compelling visual narratives that reinforce and enhance the game’s setting, story, and gameplay elements.
Work closely with the Lead Environment Artist and Art Director to create high quality 3D environment art.
Combine traditional art aesthetics with next-gen 3D authoring techniques to create visually compelling 3D spaces.
Stay up-to-date on the latest industry tools and work with our engineers and tech artist department to bring them into our workflow.
Create a broad range of environment assets that include architecture, nature and props from both concept and photo reference.
Ensure assets and environments conform to the defined technical and artistic requirements.
Work with production staff to manage personal deliverables, ensuring they meet the defined objectives, defined quality bar, and schedule.
Mentor and inspire junior artists, sharing your skills and knowledge to assist their growth and development.
Provide a high level of feedback to team members, both internal and external.
Implement final assets into the game engine – creating well composed environmental ‘best practice’ locations to serve as a visual guide for Level Design.
Use a world editor you will populate and set dress our game world using a variety of 3D assets.
Collaborate closely with other departments within the studio (Script, Animation, VFX etc.) to ensure project goals are met.
Support the outsource pipeline to ensure quality is being maintained.
Achieve a high level of artistic fidelity while maintaining engine budgets, limits, and memory constraints.
A solid portfolio demonstrating experience in the creation of high-quality, high-resolution 3D assets, UV maps and textures – And environment creation process, from start to finish
Extensive professional experience and understanding of stylised art styles
A minimum of 7 years professional experience as an artist in the games industry with at least 1 AAA shipped title.
Exceptional modelling skill and experience in a major 3d package.
Experience with texture creation/authoring tools such as the Substance Suite.
Experience working with a game engine (Unreal, Unity or similar).
A strong understanding of art fundamentals.
An appreciation for architecture and design.
Strong communication skills with the capability to successfully work across multiple teams.
Strong English skills, both written and verbal.
Comfortable working quickly within an iterative development process
Our Global Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited coaching & therapy — with Oliva, to support your mental health
- £500 annual Learning Budget — to spend on Learnerbly
- Stock Options — everyone owns a piece of our success
- Compassionate Leave — regardless of who it is, whether you’ve miscarried, or a lost a pet, you don’t need to tell us why
- Birthday Present — £150 voucher or a charity donation
- Birthday Day off — to celebrate your birthday away from work each year
- Caregiver Leave — up to 5 days each year to support your loved ones
- New baby gift — £250 toward a meal delivery or cleaning service
- Remote Working Budget – for remote workers to get out of the house
- Pension scheme — to finance those golden years
- Socials — office & remote events, play sessions and company-wide parties
- And even more benefits based on your location!
If you’re based in the UK
- 29 Annual Leave + 3 bank holidays – we’re flexible with most bank holidays so you can use the time to celebrate what’s important to you
- Long Service Days – 2 extra days added on your 2nd & 4th anniversaries with us.
- Private Medical Insurance – full cover with AXA
- Healthcare Cash Plan – Level 3 cover with Medicash
- Enhanced Family Leave – Primary caregivers; 13 weeks full pay, 13 weeks half pay, Secondary caregivers; 2 weeks full pay
- Cycle2Work Scheme – lease a bike through us and save on tax too!
- Electric Car Charging – electric car charging at our Port office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh and Budapest and are happy to sponsor your relocation to one of these cities.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.
If you apply, let us know you came from 3djobs.xyz!